Family Formation equips the parents in your parish to pass on the Catholic Faith to their children enabling them to grow in their faith together as a family.
Family Formation provides a unique, challenging, and creative curriculum that is family-based, includes adult catechesis and training for parents, is founded on the Truth and teachings of the Catholic Church, and is designed to make living the Faith a way of life and a life-long learning adventure.
Family Formation for Parishes includes:
- Adult formation and grade specific classroom curriculum for monthly parish gatherings
- Weekly family home lessons, which enable parents to be the primary educators of their children in the Faith
- Monthly training of volunteer catechists
Why Family Formation?
A careful reading through the documents of the Catholic Church quickly reveals the Church’s great expectations for the family. “The right and duty of parents to give education is essential, original and primary, and it is irreplaceable and incapable of being entirely delegated to others.” Familiaris Consortio, 36 “The family is a domestic church.” Lumen Gentium, 11. Learn more
Hear from the perspective of the founding pastor, Fr. Tim Nolan, and the former pastor, Fr. Jon Vander Ploeg, of the Church of Saint Paul as to the role that Family Formation has played in aiding families to become what Christ and His Church are calling them to be.
Monthly Church Gatherings
- Families gather at church one time per month for 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- Students in Grades K-6 meet in classes, divided by grade level.
- Parents have a separate gathering where they are catechized, encouraged, and equipped. This adult catechesis component is key to the transmission of Faith in the home.
- Parents and students are learning about the same topic of Faith.
- Classroom catechists are provided complete curriculum, which is easy to use and engaging for the students. See a sample Classroom Lesson.
- Families are given a packet of weekly Home Lessons to use for the rest of the month, at home with their children. (The year begins with one Home Lesson in September.)
Weekly Family Home Lessons
- Enable parents to be the primary educators of their children in the Catholic Faith.
- Are easy-to-use.
- Take approximately one hour per week to complete.
- Include games, activities, booklets, and audios to keep learning fun.
- Are designed for kids in Grades K-6. For information on curriculum for preschoolers (3-4 year olds), see additional curriculum.
- Bring the whole family together as they study each lesson and then apply it to their day-to-day family life. See a sample Home Lesson.
- Reinforce Sunday Mass – Family Formation lessons reflect the liturgical year and immerse families into the life and seasons of the Church.